In design and spatial layout
The Portuguese-Israelite Synagogu
The Portuguese-Israelite Synagogue of Amsterdam, also called Esnoga or Snoge for short, is a synagogue from the 17th century that was built by the Sephardic Jews. The synagogue is located at Mr. Visserplein and Jonas Daniël Meijerplein in the former Jewish quarter of Amsterdam. When it was built, it was the largest synagogue in the world.
The synagogue is used for worship by the Portuguese Israelite Community, founded in 1639. The Snoge is part of a large synagogue complex. Only the Portuguese-Israelite Synagogue still fulfills its original function. Today, the Grote Shul, together with the Obbene Shul, the Dritt Shul and the Neie Shul, form the Jewish Historical Museum. Unlike the High German synagogues, the interior of the Portuguese-Israelite Synagogue has been preserved, including the copper candle crowns and holders, and dates entirely from the construction period, which is extremely rare.
In design and spatial layout, the synagogue has served as an example for the Mikvé Israel-Emanuel synagogue in Willemstad on Curaçao and the Tzedek ve-Shalom synagogue in Paramaribo, among others.